Volume 55

La Pesquería Ribereña del Cangrejo Moro (Menippe mercenaria) de Campeche e Isla Arena, México

González y de la Rosa, M.E.; De Anda Fuentes, D.E.; Sánchez, J.A.; Seca Escalante, M.; Huchin, M.; Murillo, D.; Medina, C.M.
Download PDF Open PDF in Browser

Other Information

Date: 2004

Pages: 403-414

Event: Proceedings of the Fifty Fifth Annual Gulf and Caribbean Fisheries Institute

City: Xel Ha

Country: Mexico


Independent samples from the fishery obtained through a diving campaign added to the information from the commercial diving and traps, during the months of June 1996 to May 1997, are analyzed. Also official catch records from 1980-2001 were reviewed. A claw -shell relationship was estimated, a comparative analysis of claws between two fishing communities (Isla Arena and Campeche) was studied. According to the official records, the private sector owns 78% of the traps, the rest belong to the social sector (22%). The highest percentage of regeneration of claws was observedin December (73 %), and the lowest in June and July (0%). The officially authorized fishing gear is the trap called "nasa", but in the region it is caught mainly by lung diving, most of all in the Campeche county.\Mature specimens started to appear in the grass beds in front of the city of Campeche, migrating North through the year towards Isla Arena. The highest frequency of females with exposed eggs occurred throughout June to October.\It was also observed that in the commercial catch both right and left claws are found, although this is denied by the fishermen, who claim they only take one.

PDF Preview